Irrfan Khan is one of the most talented actors in Bollywood. Over the past few years, he has given us several hits including The Lunchbox, Haider, Piku, Jurassic World, Talvar and Madaari. With such a great lineup of films, he has established himself as a top actor. However this wasn’t the case always. The movie star has been in this industry for more than 28 years (he made his debut way back in 1988), but it was only in the early 2000s that he got the recognition he deserved. But people even today don’t know much about him as a person. So as the actor celebrates his 50th birthday today, we decided to tell you 11 lesser known facts about the birthday boy. Check ’em out here:
1. Irrfan Khan’s real name is Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan. He did not like the long length of his name and so he started removing words from his name.
2 He recently changed his name from Irfan Khan to Irrfan because he liked the sound of the extra “r” in his name.
3. The actor is married to Sutapa Sikdar who he met in his acting school. They used to study in the same class at the National School of Drama (NSD), Delhi. The couple even have two children named Babil and Aryan.
4. He took admission to the NSD with fake certificates.
5. His critically acclaimed film – Lunch Box is the only Indian movie which won at the TCFAA (Toronto Film Critics Association Awards).
6. At one point of time in his life, Irrfan did not have money to watch Jurassic Park in a cinema but today he has not only acted in one part of the same films, but also acted in several Hollywood movies like The Namesake, New York, I Love You, A Mighty Heart, Slumdog Millionaire, The Amazing Spider Man and Life of Pi.
7. Irrfan Khan has been detained at US airports on two occasions. He was detained at the Los Angeles airport in 2008 and at New York airport in 2009 coz of the fact that his name is similar to a terror suspect.
8. Irrfan wanted to be a cricketer and became an actor only by chance.
9. The star does not like non-vegetarian food and so his father teased him that he is a brahmin born in a pathan family.
10. The birthday boy has been an introvert ever since his school days
11. A few years back, he was offered Matt Damon’s role in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar (2014). But he turned it down as he had already allotted his dates to The Lunchbox and D-Day and he didn’t want to turn back on his commitment.
These were 11 facts about Irrfan Khan that you probably didn’t know. Well we wish the actor a very Happy Birthday and wish that he continues to amaze us with his work for many more years to come…